Businesses in CMK have voted for a new levy that will provide £6 million towards improvements to CMK’s public realm over the next five years.
The “Amazing CMK” Business Improvement District (BID) status aims to deliver a number of benefits, including:
- Improving the state of city centre underpasses and porte cocheres
- Investing in deep cleansing of the streets and landscape improvements
- Delivering a viable park and ride scheme and city centre shuttle service for CMK employees
- Enabling apprenticeships and work experience programmes relevant to the CMK workforce
- Enhancing the image of Milton Keynes through the creation of annual events which create a legacy and engagement with business and community
- Investing in the day and night time economy to increase frequency of visit, dwell time and spend
The project was lead by Milton Keynes City Centre Management (MKCCM), who represent many of the businesses that operate in CMK. The work going forward will be led by a special BID panel, with the Town Council being directly involved.
“The Town Council welcomes this great news for CMK.” said CMK Town Council chair Rebecca Kurth. “The Amazing CMK BID will make the city centre cleaner and safer for everyone – workers, visitors and residents alike.”
Central Milton Keynes will become one of the five largest BID areas outside of Central London.